Johnstown Castle was built by the Esmonde family who came to County Wexford in 1169. It was then acquired by the Grogan family who developed the castle, grounds, lakes and estate that we have today. The walled gardens and hothouses, covering 4 acres, were originally laid out between 1844 -1851 and retain their early design today.
Pathways throughout the grounds meander through the woodland garden and around the lakes. The sunken garden is now a picnic area located close to the car park.Contact: +353 (0)53 91 71200 www.irishagrimuseum.ie (15 minutes drive, Oldtown Lane, Murrintown, Co. Wexford)